Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Coming Soon




Warning to all Northeastern Ohio Drivers: Nina is learning to ride a motorcycle!

Next week, the hubby and I are attending a motorcycle safety riding course consisting of 1 day in the classroom and 2 days on a riding course. Upon successful completion, we will both be licensed riders. I've NEVER driven a motorycycle. Not even a small dirtbike. I did ride a 4-wheeler once when I was about 12 years old but I'm guessing that doesn't qualify as having any experience. Supposedly, this class is often full of first time riders who are just as clueless as myself when it comes to operating a motorcycle. I've been told, by previous graduates, that the novice riders gennerally are the students who excell the most. Maybe I'm at an advantage? Hopefully, we'll see.

Jason, my husband, is an experienced rider and is taking the class to get the motorcycle endorsement on his drivers license. Apparently, the test given by the BMV is extremely difficult to pass (he's failed the test 4 or 5 times, each time a different section) and this is the route lots of bikers take to get their licenses. I, on the other hand, am doing this because...I'm nuts?!?! Jason says I'm going to love it. Tells me that I'll enjoy riding more because I'll be in control. He also tells me, quite often, that I'm a bad passenger, I move too much. He's constantly reminding me to lean when he leans. He tells me I'm going to kill us both one day if I don't hold still. Yet, I should learn to ride because there is no other rush like it in the world of driving. Hmm?

Given the splendid weather (that is fading fast) we've had the past few days, I've found myself begging Jason to take me to a secluded area to let me ride his bike. He tells me absolutely not, but he'll take me to the garage so I can study the parts and familiarize myself with the location of the breaks, clutch etc. What fun is that?! I feel that I need to ride at least once before I get to this class and have to be graded on my performance, but what do I know?!? The truth is, he will most likely never allow me to ride his coveted Suzuki Hayabusa. It's a MANLY bike and I need something smaller. It has too much power, I wouldn't know what to do with all that speed. He likes to remind me of Ben Rothlinsberger's Hayabusa accident and tells me that under no circumstances am I to get brave and attempt to take his motorcycle out. Even after I learn on a smaller, less powerful, girly bike.

The class is approaching quickly and my anxiety level continues to soar. I am, however, excited about the cute black riding gloves with the hot pink trim I recently purchased! I'm secretly praying they have magical powers that will keep my hands steady when it's time to pull down on the throttle.

So...everyone please, say a little prayer that I do not kill myself during this riding course. And let it be known, my ultimate goal is to tame the Hayabusa beast and prove my husband wrong!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I think that all of this is quite exciting!!! I am sure you'll be fine...I'm not sure however, if he will really let you go farther than down the street on the "Beast!" LOL!

I admire you girl...I'm not sure I would have the guts to do it!!!

Nina said...

Tera~ trust me, Jay will never willingly let me on that bike! And I'm sure you could do it too, you've got a wild side!

Anonymous said...

I'm right behind ya girl!! Already been looking at the shades of pink for my bike!!! ;)

Nance said...

yikes. my friend, the former owner and rider of a motorcycle always says, "It's not a case of IF you'll have an accident, but WHEN and HOW BAD." just be careful.

Anonymous said...

You can do it no problem. Get a harley-they are the bomb and sound cool, too. I have no idea what a Hayabusa is but since it's a Suzuki I'm assuming it's a crotch rocket. I love to ride but am merely a passenger and Todd said I'm probably the best passenger he's ever had. Have no idea why, but ok. I would like to get my license but....not sure I could get out on the roads here with the million other nut cases and be comfortable. The interstate is a definate no...have fun and hang on tight!!!

Nina said...

Rey~Let's start a riding club...girls only, of course. HE HE!!!

Nance~Jason tells me the same thing, we're all going to crash at some point. It does make me nervous.

Michelle~a Hayabusa is the mac daddy of crotch rockets (for the lack of better words) and it's super fast and powerful. If I told Jason I wanted a harley he'd most likely tell me he wants a divorce! Ok, it wouldn't be that bad but he wouldn't go for it. He says they're overpriced and break down all the time. I'm sure I'll be a sport bike rider too.

fringes said...

Don't kill yourself!

Haha...no...be safe, have fun. Tell us all about it.

mist1 said...

I learned how to ride a motorcycle. Then, I learned how to drive one into a gate. Next, I learned how to drop one on my ankle. Finally, I learned how to sell a motorcycle.

This summer, I am learning how to fly an airplane.

Nina said...

mist1~good luck in the plane! I hope I don't have to report those types of motorcycle memories!

Nina said...

mist1~good luck in the plane! I hope I don't have to report those types of motorcycle memories!

Anonymous said...

Well, Todd is a big guy so he has to have a big bike-Harley dresser only or he looks like a fat guy on a tricycle!!! They don't break down all the time-once every couple years but it's usually 600 bucks to fix whatever it is. As far as super fast-we are too old to be worried about super fast. I need a big seat for my big ass!!! And what is a mac daddy?

Nina said...

Michelle~have you lost touch with your ghetto roots while living in the southwest? It just means that it's the big dog of the big dogs, you know? There is only one other sport bike out there faster than a hayabusa and in a race it would win only by tenths of a second. At least that is what Jay tells me! I must tell you, the hayabusa passenger seat is quite large. Not practically non-existant like some other crotch rockets. The uncomfortable part is being hunched over for too long.

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't lost touch with my ghetto roots-my neighborhood is considered the Tucson Ghetto. But here I believe they would call it the "bomb diggitiest". Different culture-different ghetto lingo!!! My old bones couldn't handle the hunched over business either.