Tuesday, June 26, 2007

One of My Many Quirks



I need balance in my life. And I like nice round even numbers the best. It's a habit I picked up as a young child and I've never truly grown out of it. I believe it all started with bedtime kisses when mom tucked me in. A quick peck on the cheek would never do, oh no! I had a well thought out routine. It began with one kiss on the left eye then the right. Next was my forehead followed by my chin. Finally, a peck on my nose and then my lips. Every single night. In that order. I couldn't sleep without it. God forbid mom and I got to laughing too much and one of us screwed up the pattern 'cause I'd make her start over. On the rare occasion that I go to bed with my husband, (he works the night shift) I'll sometimes have him kiss me goodnight in this this same way. I giggle about it. He just thinks I'm a weirdo.

When I'm out shopping and there is any type of 2 for 1 deal, I HAVE to buy both items. Even if this is not required by the store in order to get one at half price. Why buy 1 when you can have 2? One is a lonely number. And when I'm buying fruit or veggies by the piece, I always get an even number. Although, when I buy 10 apples it doesn't quite work out. If we each eat one a day, being that there are 3 of us, who gets the last one?

My neighbor offered to give me some of those pretty little hanging flower bags. I got real excited because I didn't purchase any myself this year since I've been too lazy to go to a real nursery and the Home Depot doesn't seem to stock them. I thought, "Ooohhhh, I'll hang one each on either side of the garage door!!" However, I misunderstood what she said. She said that she only had "one" not "some". I tried to hide the disappointment on my face as I graciously accepted her offer. I've (accidentally on purpose) forgotten to make the journey across my back yard and pick it up. Why on earth would I only want one? I can't have flowers hanging from one side of the garage and not the other, that would be a symmetrical sin! I'm secretly hoping that she doesn't send the single bag over with her daughter. I've been thinking really hard about what I could do with one bag and I'm not coming up with any possibilities. My mind just refuses to function in terms of "one".

My husband and I are in the process of building a patio. I'm very excited at the way it's coming along. The pattern is basically one large stone surrounded by 16 smaller stones. His original design theory consisted of some crazy abstract kidney-shaped crap. The thought of which made my stomach flip. I had to very calmly state, "Now Jason, you KNOW I like things to be symmetrical." I mean really, how else am I to clearly visualize the placement of furniture, plants etc. He figured it best not to press the issue. Needless to day, the patio will be rectangular upon completion.

In the comments...tell me about your idiosyncrasies or feel free to poke fun at mine.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't start something new unless everything is spotless around me. I often plan a perfect meal or craft project and can never get it started, because I'm too tired from cleaning. Lately I've been having to force myself to meet deadlines over a ton of crap laying on my dinning room table. It's making me nervous and I wish I was done.

I was thinking this morning, that I have been able to overcome one of my biggest idiosyncrasies, and that's "falling in the trap". People used to be so good at getting me to fall for it.

One other one, and it's really bad, is getting frustrated when people ask me to repeat myself or ask me to explain myself. I pretty much speak in 6th grade terms, how could it get more simple?

Tera said...

"Symmetrical sins..." Nina, you're crazy...that is too damned funny.

I too am a fan of symmetry and balance, but I didn't realize until your apple story that I'm that bad too! I only buy snacks for the boys that are in even numbers, and if I decide to indulge and try one...I have to make sure that at some point I go back for another so there is an equal amount left for them ;)

Anonymous said...

N&T-You guys are funny! I wonder if the two of you have Type A personalities.

N-So what kind of flowers will you be hanging? I guess that you could always put together a fake arrangement to make it look more even.

Nance said...

I am all about the symmetry thing! But I would still have been all OVER the free flowers! Nina, go get it and then buy two things to put on either side of it!

I cannot stand things to be cockeyed in the house: the rug has to be centered and straight; the coffee table, too. The pillows on the back of the couch have to alternate patterns, not have two of the same in a row.

And don't get me started with food on the plate!

mist1 said...

I can't have things be symmetrical. I will always notice that they are not perfectly symmetrical and then I will have to get drunk so that it doesn't bother me.

I feel the same way about orderly repeating prints like stripes and checks and plaids and polka dots. Tiles, wood floors, ceiling panels...I need a little disorder to break up the perfection or I need a little more wine. Either way.

Except for the number 100. I like 100.

Nina said...

Anon~I like a clean work space as well. But if your mind is always racing is that even possible?

Tera~I'm glad to know that I'm not in this alone.

Nance~I'm getting the flowers today because she mentioned it again. I don't want to be rude. I still have no clue what I'm going to do with them though.
I'm with you regarding food on a plate.

Mist~So what, are you one of those orginized chaos people?

Anonymous said...

nina- there's nothing like a mess that can fudge things up. neatness is a clear channel for me. Mess = confusion and bad influence. it's okay to let the mind race and take a break from the physical activity to frenshen things up. just sometimes you have to keep going and hope that nothing bad comes out of it.

Mizrepresent said...

Hi E,

Thanks for visiting my site and the link add, i was so surprised and HAPPY. Sometimes we don't know who's reading, and there you were. I am loving your blog and will add you to my link....now about that patio...this is the one thing i want more than anything, so when you and hubby get it down, let me know how it comes out...i can't wait to see pics.

Nina said...

anon~A mess can create so much more than just a mess. At least at my house :)

Miz.~You're welcome!! And thanks to Anali, I found you through her page.

The patio...should be done shortly but nothing is ever quite as it seems at our house!

Todd Camplin said...

What a great gift of flowers. Looks great in the photo. Is that against an old door?

Susan said...

You have to buy 30 apples. It's the only answer. Or 60. Or 90..

If I buy starburst like people give out for halloween candy I have to open all the packages and sort the colors. I think it's more of a thing where I really want to know how many pink ones I have..

Nina said...

Camplin~Welcome and thanks for stopping by! Those arn't the actual flowers...I haven't even picked them up yet!

Susan~That's a lot of apples!!
The pink ones are my favorite too :)