Monday, June 11, 2007

Memories



Music is amazing. It is the one and only thing in this entire world (that I can think of) that has the ability to reach all people regardless of what language they speak, what their culture is or where they live. Several years ago I had the pleasure of being the guest of my Ghanaian friend to an African themed party at Oberlin College. Most of the attendees were African born students and dressed in their native garb. I didn't understand the language of the songs nor did I know how to do the traditional dances. But I quickly joined in and thoroughly enjoyed the beat of the music while appreciating the opportunity to be a part of the experience. Music is what brought everyone together. Music has the power to transcend boundaries and unify people who may not otherwise interact.



Briliant Donkey has a post up about moving to the country. This reminded me of the short time I spent living outside of the city. Honestly, this was not my most favorite experience. I'm a city girl through and through. I hated the bugs, the field mice and the inability to jump in my car and run to the local corner store in under 2 minutes. But looking back I must take the time to appreciate one thing in particular you just don't see in the city. My most beautiful "country" memory comes from standing in the middle of the road during the dead of night and seeing the tree lined streets glowing with lighting bugs. The sight is breath-taking. The trees look as through some meticulous decorator spent months putting up Christmas lights. The trees, on a summer night, twinkle so brightly. The spectacular display of these little bugs is truly an exquisite and radiant sight.


I really miss the Saturday afternoons spent at Basil's with Tera and Rey. That was our girl time. We would eat, drink and be merry. It was during these times that we sat around and giggled like little school girls. No boys allowed, usually. On rare occasions we'd allow a significant other to crash our weekly party but not often. The afternoon aways ended in smiles and shopping. I appreciate the times when we attempt to recreate those outings when one of them is visiting but they're never quite the same. Only because they are too few and far between. I think you two should move back to Ohio!


My first solo trip in a stick shift vehicle left me feeling over-confident. I'd made the 30 minute drive from my house to a park only stalling once. The park has a couple different entry points that are all downhill. Some much steeper than others. With that said, my arrival was a cake walk. The departure, a disaster. The park had a heavy traffic flow that day and I was in the middle of it. The beginning of my up-hill travel to leave the park began well, the cars were moving at a steady pace. Then I had to stop. When it was time to move again, I rolled backwards almost hitting the car behind me. I panicked. I stalled. I was scared to death of trying to re-start the car to try again so I just sat there. The pile up of cars behind me was growing quite large. Thankfully, a man traveling down the hill stopped at my window and asked if I was driving a stick and having a hard time getting up the hill. I told him yes. He put his car in park, causing a pile-up in the opposite direction now, hopped in my truck, drove me up the hill and then ran back down to his car. I was soooo grateful, but very embarrassed too. That was about 8 years ago. For the past 5 years I've driven a standard transmission car every single day. These days shifting gears and rolling on hills feels like second nature to me. But I NEVER drive myself to that park. Ever.


The latter memory reminds me of another that also took place in the above mentioned park. This is a picture of Buck, my Aunt Jo's super fat Dalmatian.
This photo was taken by a photographer from the local newspaper and was featured in MSN's Week in Pictures last year. Pretty cool, 'eh? She was super excited and proud knowing that people all over the world may be viewing her pleasantly plump pooch.




In the comments...feel free to reminisce about your own memories!

14 comments:

Tera said...

The aroma of collard greens and baked chicken reminds me of my grandma's house on Sunday. I also remember countless hours of playing Gin Rummy with her...I just wish I could tell her how much that meant to me.

I also remember playing kickball and hide-and-seek with Dria, Mike and Matt...isn't it strange how we used to play for hours on end? Never once needed a video game or to watch something on TV!

The Dairy (Sunshine Farms)...love the juice, love the chip dip...and now that they're closed, I can't even get my dose of nostalgia...we used to run across the street daily. All of the clerks knew us, and wow, what independence at age 5 being able to cross the street!

Nina...yes, Basil's. I stopped for Cheese Balls and a Gyro on my way home yesterday...I grew up on that stuff and truly cannot resist it! I miss our Saturdays too!!!! :)

Nance said...

nina--you are a woman extraordinaire! driving a stick! i refuse--REFUSE!!--to drive anything that has more pedals than I have feet. Nice post.

Nina said...

Tera~Don't worry. She knows
Aaahhh...The Dairy. I always stopped there to buy candy. And cheese balls, my favorite next to the cheese fries. Yum!

Nance~How on earth do you win the race without a 6 speed?!?!?

A side thought...I love when guys pull up next to me and want to race. I actually had a guy in the next lane ask me, "Do you know how to drive that car?" I left him in the freakin' dust! They think that I don't know how to perform. They think I don't know how to "drive" my car. I havn't lost yet :) Except against Jason, his car has more horsepower anyway so he doesn't count.

Lisa Johnson said...

I so agree about music. It really is a unifying force. I have a lot of World Music and can't understand what some of them are singing, but I love the feel of it.

Anonymous said...

Nina - The best part about our saturday afternoons was that we lived so close we could walk home (or try to) and not have to worry about getting a DUI!! As far as moving back to Ohio - maybe you should pack up J & the kid and come to the big KY!!!

I swear my family used to have the best new years eve parties in the city. We all used to cram into my aunt's house who lived in the projects. Knowing that many other family members had bigger less "urban" homes we still piled in her house every year. And it was packed wall to wall. Everyone had so much fun, we danced,ate traditional puerto rican dishes, the adults drank and we watched the countdown. Every year, me and Jamie talk about how fun it was and how literally "everyone" was there. We even have pics that we tried to take and couldn't fit everyone in the pictures!! We have since tried to recreate it in my aunt's new home...but somehow it just isn't the same. I am so thankful that I had that time with my family...my heart hurts at times, that my daughter doesn't have the same.

Ok one last memory --Does it ever dawn on you or tera that we all have matching tattoos?? What in the world were we thinking? All I know is that I have "pancreas" written on my body permanently!! Hey in reference to your previous blog - I heard they have a new cream that removes tattoos for those who are no longer friends!!!

Tera said...

Rey~I concur...Nina, we outnumber you...get your ass down here!

Rey, a comedian would have a field day on your New Year's Eve memories ;)

LLLLLMMMMMMMMAAAAOOOO!!! I forgot to remember the tattoos!

Nina~perhaps you and I SHOULD find out more about this cream...I mean since the "e-mail thing"....uh what difference would a B&E make to apply said cream?!?!?

Anonymous said...

One more comment about the tattoos - after my surgery the doctor came in my room for the post op and she was so happy to tell me that she didn't have to cut into my tattoo!! Now mind you...I was on a morphine drip and I told her "do you know it means pancreas?"!! It was hilarious. Tera - since you know the doc I'm sure you could picture her face!!!

Tera said...

Rey~Yes, yes, and that cracks me up!!!! LOL! Hey, and I know a Persian girl that can co-sign our story that it means "sweet!"

Nina said...

Anali~music is sooo special is so many ways, isn't it? At times, it is actually the music that makes the memory memorable.

Rey~Not moving to KY. That is my final answer. And yes, we could walk...but did we? I know we took our chances going the wrong way over the one way bridge a couple of times, but walk?!?!
I've heard about those parties. I only wish I would've met you sooner so I could have been there too.

Tera & Rey~ The tatoo...stop telling people about the pancreas part, damnit!! You have to go pretty far down in the dictionary definitions to get to that one. So, as far as I'm concerned, we're sweet, beautiful and pretty!!! And for that cream...if either of you find it, send some to D!!!!! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, maybe the intention was there! I retract my statement....I think the walks were to Zulu's!!!!!!!!!!!

Mizrepresent said...

Wow Nina,i'm loving this...yes music makes my day, i love and i am open to all kinds...i love the lighting bugs....i think when i was young i called them "lightning bugs"....miss them, don't get to see them that much anymore. Do you remember trying to catch them in jars? I lived in the city, and i remember playing kickball, kick the can (some made up game similar to hide and seek)...i remember visiting my grandparents in Detroit and sitting on the porch watching people go by, dreaming of tomorrow...i remember them opening up the fire hydrants and street parties....Mister Softee trucks...Sizzlers, (tiny short dresses with matching panties).lol, thanks girl, i enjoyed this.

Nina said...

mizrepresent~I used to catch them little critters in jars too. Then I'd always got really sad when they died.
We played kick the...whatever we could find to kick! All day and all night. But we had better be in the front yard when the streetlights came on mama was gonna be UPSET!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I remember swinging. I was constantly swinging. If it was in my backyard the schoolyard or a friends yard. For some reason, I did it all the way until I was 18. Then I had other things to do and found other ways to fly(like on airplanes). You know, everytime I drive past my old elementary school, I never see anybody there. I think, "what a waste of good swings".

Nina said...

Swinging is still so much fun!