Wednesday, March 21, 2007

For Me?


Last night I'm cuddled up on the couch ready to dive into a trashy romance/thriller novel (yes, I like the smut) when the dogs start going nuts. All three, barking, barking, barking. I have a quick peek outside to see the UPS man wandering about delivering packages. I take a moment to wonder if I've ordered anything lately and decide the answer is no since he's several houses away. So I make an attempt to shut up the poochies and return to the couch when I hear the doorbell ring. Given that I've already dismissed the idea of the UPS man bringing me a surprise, I decide it's a kid. Irritated, for being interrupted for the second time in 3 minutes, I get up to answer the door. Low and behold... what do I see...a package! For me?! I grab it quickly and have a look. My address but not my name. That's weird. I pick my brain trying to come up with sort of name recognition and wonder if this belongs to a neighbor. No one comes to mind so I'm going to open it, it was left at MY door, right? I open the box, find a card that reads, "Sorry this is so late. We wish you both a lifetime of happiness and love. Love always, The Johnsons." I get soooo excited that a friend I've recently began communicating with again (because she moved away and we'd lost touch) sent me a late wedding gift. Wow, how sweet!!! I now move on to the box inside of the box. It's a lovely red box with a beautiful cream bow and I can't wait to see what's inside...a wonderful set of high polished silver picture frames. How nice! They're going to match my house perfectly! Then I notice another small box. This one contains a personalized name plate. Cool! I open it up and it's been engraved with "Perkins". Hold on...my name isn't Perkins!?!?! Hmmmm....maybe she just made a mistake. It's possible that she was unsure of what my married name is, right? Perplexed, I decide to give my neighbor a ring. Marcy has lived on our street for at least 30 years, maybe she knows who the Perkins are. After all, the address could have just been off by a number or so and there are tons of "Johnsons" in the world. Maybe it isn't for me after all. But she doesn't have a clue who they are either! While I'm talking with my neighbor, I find the packaging slip and it specifically says the order was placed by the Johnsons I know and from the state MY Johnsons live in. That's confirmation enough for me! It's mine, I get to keep it! Later I decide to give Toni (Johnson) a call, just to be sure and to "thank you". When I ask if she sent me a gift, being the sweetheart that she is, she says she's not sure. Maybe she did, she needs a minute to think. Then I tell her about the name on the package and she immediately burst into laughter. Yes, she sent the package, and no, it wasn't for me!!! She was doing a little secret shopping while her hubby was away and made a mistake while being in such a rush so he wouldn't know about the purchase. Well, Toni is far too polite to actually say the latter, but that is how I interpreted the her story! Anyway...I delivered the gorgeous frames, that would've have meshed soooo nicely with the decor of my home, to their rightful owners today. It was hard, I'd fallen in love, you see? I already had their places picked out and I knew just what photos would would be placed in each...*sigh*


P.S. Toni is not my friend's real name. She asked that her identity be withheld in order to protect her from any further embarrassment among our circle of friends :)

8 comments:

Nance said...

too bad! but maybe, after all that, your friend will send you a gift anyway, now that the incident happened. at least she knows what you like! lol.

Anonymous said...

That's sad!! Here, I'm sending you a hug. It wasn't my mother was it- her name is Johnson??? That's funny, too.

Anonymous said...

Ummm........I think your friend Toni feels bad. Maybe you'll have a beautiful gift from the Red Envelope coming soon. She do owe you a wedding gift...LOL! I know she loves you soooo much. She appreciates you for delivering the package. You're the sweetest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love, Toni P.S.I know they are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nina said...

Nance~pity gifts are no fun. I do enjoy the ones I receive from my husband though!

Michelle~Thanks for the hug! And no, it wasn't your mother...I don't believe I've talked to her in a few years! Send my love!

Meda~you owe me nothing...I just wanted to have a good time poking fun at your alter ego!

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!! Nina, that is too funny!!! I mean not that the gift wasn't for you...ESPECIALLY since you really, really liked it, and it's not too often that people buy gifts that ACTUALLY match our decor!!!

Meda....I mean Toni (LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!) You had better hope there's more in the store! S & Q won't appreciate them as much as Nina (I might be biased-LOL!)

Nina said...

Tera~stop laughing at me!

Anonymous said...

Nina next time just follow my practice - keep whatever is delivered. After it's on your porch its fair game. How do you think I got such a fabulous DVD collection!!!!!!!

Nina said...

Rey~you're right. next time I'll just keep my mouth shut!