Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Truly Wonderful Day!

President Obama recently visited my area. I was absolutely overjoyed when I learned he was coming and equally disappointed when I learned that I'd missed my chance to get tickets to see him speak. So I did the next best thing, I bundled up my sweet Micah and we waited outside for the Presidential motorcade to pass by.

We waited on the main street he was to travel down for just over an hour before Our President drove by. I was so pleased to have my son, niece and nephew there to experience it too. I got a pretty decent video of the procession but it was kind of hard to do as Micah, naturally, had no idea what was going on would have no parts of staying in his stroller. So I had to hold him as I tried to capture this small, yet huge piece of wonderfulness on camera. I hope to share that video with you soon.

But in the meantime, I do have some pictures from that day's event that an old high school friend was kind enough to let me post here. This is Kim and her son Reece:
Kim's son wanted very badly to go see President Obama speak but she was unable to get tickets. For several days she was on Facebook asking anyone who had tickets to the event and couldn't attend to please pass them on to her so she could take her son. No such luck on that though so she was planning on taking him to see the motorcade like most of the people without tickets would most likely do.


I started hearing rumors late Thursday night about where President Obama was supposed to be going for lunch. I thought that maybe I'd take my chances and try to go there but I dismissed that idea just as fast figuring the Secret Service would have the place on lock down and wouldn't be the slightest bit swayed by Micah's sweet face and his chant of "OBAMA! OBAMA!" (Which eventually turned into a chant of OGRANDMA! OGRANDMA!) I never really thought of going to this place for more than about two minutes, literally. But Kim took her chances and headed to the restaurant/bar where Obama did in fact dine early Friday afternoon. Even better, she and her son were able to meet him and have this awesome photo-op! I'm so happy that her son will have such a wonderful memory and story to share with his own children someday. And I'm super grateful that she let me share the pictures with my readers!

I believe Kim will be stopping by and hopefully she will give us more details in the comments about how the experience was for the two of them...hint, hint!

3 comments:

Nance said...

Wow! What awesome pictures. Rick was driving out to the Home show and not only saw Air Force One, but was stopped by the motorcade. First in line of cross-traffic, he also shot some (poor) video of the impressive parade as it sped by his car. This is now TWICE that my husband has seen the presidential airplane and TWICE that he has seen the presidential motorcade. He vastly preferred seeing the 44th president's, btw, than the 43rd's.

Heidi said...

Oh what a wonderful day it was! (we won't talk about the crappy weather or the mudpuddles my toddler played in waiting for said Prez.....) I was so excited to hear Mr. Obama was visiting the factory at the end of my street! Even through the miscomunication we still got to see the President drive by. It was a great thing to share with my boys. The oldest will always remember this day, and the youngest will hear the stories and see the pictures and video and hopefully realize what an awesome experience it truly was. It really was a once in a lifetime event!

Nina said...

Nance~Yes, they are! And I'm so happy for them. But I must admit, a little jealous too!
Rick must have President radar, I'm going to start following him.

Heidi~So exciting! And the kids will know how special of an event this was, someday!