Sunday, January 17, 2010


Since the day that Oprah gave away Amazon's Kindle on one of her Favorite Things shows, my interests have been piqued in this new age of ereaders. However, I was never too serious about hunting around for the best product or to even see what was available on the market because of the high price tag. Until recently, that is.

And I'm so excited! I've been doing my research for the last several months and had my heart initially set on the Kindle, which I don't think anyone who knows about ereaders will argue, is the industry standard. It has all the bells and whistles, and I do like bells and whistles. But after further research and knowing my reading habits, I was quickly turned off to the Kindle when I realized that if I own this product, my book swapping days are essentially over. And avid readers know that books can be a huge social event as well as a self fulfilling pleasure. Not to mention that exchanging books with fellow readers saves lots of money for everyone involved. But then I stumbled upon the Barns & Noble Nook. WOOOHOOO! I immediately fell in love and found my ereader. It supports several different file formats and allows you to lend books to other Nook owners. Furthermore, it runs on the Android operating system which is growing by leaps and bounds daily. I could go on and on about the tech specs, but I won't. I'll just say that I'm in love! And mine is expected to ship on Feb. 12, just in time for a late birthday present, but right on time for Valentine's Day. And since my husband knows how much I've been drooling over this ereader, a combo gift is just fine with me, this year :)

If you'd like to check out the Nook for yourself, click here.

4 comments:

Nance said...

Oh, no. How could you? Imagine if you were ever lucky enough to meet the author of a BOOK you were "reading." What would he or she sign? How would you protect it? Save it? Honor it?

Question: What does a nookstore look like?

Nina said...

Nance~Gosh, I never thought about that! But given that I've never met an author in my 30+ years, I'm willing to take my chances!

The Nook Store is awesome! It's virtual, of course. And you can access it right from the device, online or in any B&N store. There are over 1 million titles available and you can even subscribe to some major newspapers and magazines and read those on the Nook too. Plus, B&N offers lots of free ebooks (in the ebook store) online and you can get lots of classics for free from Google Books...are you sold yet? :) Just imagine Nance, having your entire library at your fingertips at any given moment where ever you are...ooohhh!

jk said...

The Plain Dealer and cleveland.com are creating what we hope will be the most comprehensive directory of Northeast Ohio bloggers. Yours is one I've been following, and I'd like to see it on our list. Please sign up at http://bit.ly/5pTxkw

If you have any questions, let me know.

Heidi said...

Did I mention I'm getting a Nook too? Happy birthday to me...hehehe I can't wait!