Sunday, January 10, 2010


I've been thinking a lot about the power of music. The emotions that can arise when you take the time to listen to lyrics. Or the memories that seem to hit you like a ton of bricks because you remember that song was playing when (fill in the blank).

I was in bed the other day attempting to take a nap. I was listening to the radio spilling over from Micah's room. I couldn't fall asleep because my mind was racing from all the remembering. One song brougt back a memeory from high school. Just driving around aimlessly with my best girlfriend at the time singing at the top of our lungs just for the hell of it. But it is not only the memory that the song brings that I enjoy so much, it is the emotion. I can remember exactly the way I was feeling. I can remember how much fun I was having at that very moment and I can remember thinking that I want to remember this distinct moment for the rest of my life. And because of a song, I do. I think that is amazing!

Recently I was listening to my MP3 player and a particular song from my wedding started playing. I was on the verge of tears as I remembered dancing with my husband for the first time as a married couple. Then I realized I wasn't alone and needed to pull it together. Although I doubt most people forget special songs from their weddings, I am still surprised by the enormity of emotion that comes along with that particular song each and every time I hear it. You'd think that I would be used to it by now :)

Music speaks to me in so many different ways and on so many different levels. Music has the power to evoke tears of joy or make me sob like a small child who just skinned her knee for the first time. Music has the power to bring people together who would normally have nothing common. Music is truly magical.

8 comments:

EsLocura said...

music is what I turn to for a whole plethora of things, when I am feeling a whole plethora of emotions, it's true what they say "music soothes the savage beast", at least that's what it does for me : )

Lisa Johnson said...

So true! It's been such a joy to find music online that I never thought I'd hear again. It's funny how with the technology of the new century, we get to experience even more music from the last one.

Nina said...

EsLocura~I agree 100%! And welcome back! Thanks for stopping by!!

Anali~It is amazing that you can find virtually any music you want from any time period. Technology is amazing!

Nance said...

I don't listen to music hardly ever anymore--I discussed this in an older blogpost awhile back. Basically, I think because of my job, I just now value silence so much. But every once in a while, I hear a snippet of a song as background on a TV show, and I think, "What IS that song? Who sings it?" Like Anali said, it's amazing that I can immediately find exactly what I'm looking for just by typing in a few phrases on Google. Modern music just doesn't do much for me. I'm stuck in the 1980s, I think. Rap, R&B--they aren't melodic and unified enough for me. And many times, not uplifting or thoughtful enough. So it's easier for me to just go without. (LONG COMMENT! SORRY!) And another thing: don't you get bummed when you hear a song by someone/a group and then hate everything else they sing?

Nina said...

Nance~I can understand why you value those quiet moments. And I often use music as an escape from all that noise you hear from being in a school, especially when I've worked with the little kids. In fact I usually carry a cd of classical music in my bag to "sooth" my students if such the need arises!
I know that you don't care for rap and r&b and I often times don't either. But I do have my favorites regarding the latter too,that is what I grew up on, it's embedded into my soul! :)

I do get super disappointed when a group seems to be so promising and ends up being a one hit wonder. What a waste! Especially if I've bought the album.

Unknown said...

Girl,

I can remember listening to I ain't your hoe, getting ready to go out to vic's and having old men buy us beer at the quicky mart on lake ave..oh the memories and then pulling into your neighbors driveway to drink it.

I miss those days. I think we need a girls night out. Let's start planning one! What do you say, for old times sake? I miss you so much. Give me a call soon.
love ya, Halley

Nina said...

Halley~OMG!! Did you serioulsy just take my memeory there?!?!? I'm cracking up!!!

I'm all for getting together!! I miss you too, love!!!

Heidi said...

The more I read this blog the more I learn about my little sister and her friends! Lmao sitting in the neighbors driveway drinking!!!

Music has been the one thing that can always pull me back together. I love all kinds of music, and I often find myself turning on the radio after a trying day. and there are songs that have memories etched into them. I'll never forget you shaking your lil booty to Ring my bell or Rock With You! Your oldest nephew is a music junkie too...but for some reason he's stuck in the 80's! He would rather listen to oldies than the new stuff!