Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Because There is Such A Movie Buzz These Days


I like to watch movies, sometimes. I go through phases. Sometimes I will watch a couple of movies a day and then I won't see anything at all for several months. And I very rarely go to the movie theater; it is way too expensive to sit through something that I ultimately don't like. So when I do go on a movie kick, I prefer it be at home, on my couch, in front of my television with a bowl of popcorn and a tall glass of Pepsi. With ice please.

Here are my top 3 movies that I will watch over and over. And No, none of them are up for an Academy Award. In fact, I don't think I've seen any of those movies yet.

1.Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5 or 6. Yes, that is technically 6 movies on my top 3 list but it is what it is. I'm putting them all into one category. I love Harry Potter, in the book and on the screen. You should already know that about me. Moving on. I will watch a Potter movie several times in one day, if it's showing. And you better call in the back up dinner maker/house cleaner if there is a Harry Potter weekend movie marathon. Love it.

2.Crash. I've not been able to watch this movie nearly as much as I would like to. But that does not make it any less fabulous. Not only is the story line fantastic, it's true. All the stereo tying and racial slurs are spot on. They say things in that movie that we have ALL thought at some point in out lives but don't dare say out loud.

3.Pulp Fiction. I love this movie for the story, the actors and of course, the music. And I want someone to lie to me and tell me that they've never recreated the dance scene between John Travolta and Uma Thurman. Anyone who has ever seen this movie has done some form of this dance. And the quotes. There are so many fantastic quotes from this movie but I will share just one...

Jules: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.


Care to share your favorites? Comment away.

5 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

Nina, i am like you, i never go to the movies unless my daughter forces me, which is like once a year. Otherwise, i spend all year catching up on movies, and i really don't have a problem w/it. I may be more like 2 years behind now, and yet i feel so great when i find a good one. I haven't seen but 2 of the Harry Potter movies, (so see how much i have to catch up on). It's all good. It gives me time to spend some time alone, and w/my son watching movies in the family room. Gotta luv it!

Heidi said...

I totally agree with #1! I don't care how many times they are on...i will sit and watch them over and over.

Never seen pulp fiction....yes I know damn me to hell!

Um....u forgot your recent favorite...TWILIGHT!!! Oh the nerve!

My favorite movie of all time that I will watch over and over...Fried Green Tomatoes!!!

Nina said...

Miz~Nothing like some mommy & son time!

Heidi~Seriously, you've never seen Pulp Fiction? Humph. Twilight would have made the list had I chosen to do a top 10 :)

Nance said...

I've never seen any of these movies either. I've heard so much about PF and C that I feel like I don't NEED to see them, esp. PF. I am largely unimpressed with Quentin Tarantino, whose films I find to be mostly adolescent boy fantasies. I think he's overrated. Vastly. People talk about The Usual Suspects like it's a Film From God, and I found it incoherent and sophomoric.

I don't usually watch films over and over again, mainly because I do (or used to do) that for my job. I saw some films hundreds of times by showing them to my classes, and now it pretty much irks me to see a film more than once. I really like the feeling of discovery when watching a film; I like not knowing what comes next.

Nina said...

Nance~I'm actually not a huge Tarantino fan either, but I do LOVE Pulf Fiction. Actually I'm trying to think of a film with Samuel L. Jackson in it that I didn't love. But given that I'm not really a movie buff, I'm sure that there are plenty out there in which I wouldn't like.
I can understand not wanting to watch movies over and over when you have to rather than prefer to. I remember being in your classroom and watching the same movie almost all day for 3 days straight...it drove me crazy! Thank God I had a book with me :)

But I do think that everyone should see crash, everyone.