Sunday, May 3, 2009

Did You Seriously Just Do That?


My husband is one of the most intelligent people that I know. He's always on the top of my list when I have a question about something. But he recently had a day where he must have left a pretty substantial amount of brain cells on his pillow when he woke up in the morning. It was just one thing after another. All Day! I shall share with you one episode of Jason's blond day.

* *no offence intended to any blonds who may be reading...it's just a saying :)

We bought a new grill. Jason has been eyeing this grill for years. He oogles over it when he sees someone using it on tv. He can even spot it the background of a scene being used as a prop, it's quite sad really. He's always waiting for it to go on sale but that pretty much never happens. Until a few weeks ago. So naturally he ran right out to buy it. Now mind you, this is a charcoal grill. Because that is the only type of REAL grill. According to Jason, gas grills are cop outs and nothing more than an outside stove and lack that "grill" flavor. However, this particular grill does have a gas ignition to light the charcoal so therefore requires a propane tank.

Moving on. The grill was purchased, assembled and placed on the patio. He even went and got the propane tank (which he was happy to report that he got at an excellent price at Sam's Club)and we're ready to go! The following day it's time to put this baby to the test. We're going to grill up some steaks and corn on the cob. Sounds good, right? We're ready!!

Now, let it be stated that I do the majority of the cooking here. Even when we're cooking out, unless there are ribs on the grill, that's Jason's thing. And as much as I want to go cook on this shiny new grill, I know that I have to let the man be the man and try out his new toy first, so I wait patiently inside peeking out through the kitchen windows every once in a while to see how things are coming along.

Naturally there is a problem. Isn't there ALWAYS a problem when you try out a new product?! Anyway, it seems as though he's having a hard time lighting the charcoal. I can't tell why because I don't dare go out there. But it SHOULD be easy enough, there is a gas ignition for Pete's sake!!! So I wait, and wait and wait. Finally after about a half hour/45 minutes I ask what the hold up is (we're all getting hungry and it's about 7pm at this point). He assures me that it will just be a few more minutes, there must be something wrong with the connection of the propane tank.

After about another 10 minutes or so, he asks me to go come outside to assist him. He wants ME to hold a match to the end of the ignition while he turns on the gas. WHAT?!?!? I'm scared, but he insists it's safe and I go ahead. Nothing. We. Get. Nothing. And then the following conversation took place:

Me: Jason, where did you get that tank? Maybe it isn't any good?
Jason: No, listen...(and he turns on the ignition)...you can hear the gas coming out.
ME: Yes, I hear somethig but I don't smell anything. We should be smelling at least a little gas. You've been trying to light this thing FOREVER!!!
Jason: Huh, you know, I bought this gauge to show how much gas is in the tank but its not working.

I immediately begin to laugh and he just kinda looks at me with that "WHAT?!?!" face.

Me: Jason, where did you get that tank again? Are you sure that it has gas in it? (as I'm walking over to the tank to read the label) Maybe what you're hearing is nothing more than AIR!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. The label clearly states, EMPTY propane tank ready for filling blah, blah blah. Its empty Jason, the fucking tank is empty! You've been out here for an hour trying to light a grill with an empty propane tank because you didn't READ the label! WOW!!!

We laugh. He says it was an honest mistake. I say it was STUPID mistake. I continue to tease. He got a little mad. I teased him some more. It was fun.

9 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

OMG, that i too funny, so i assume, no ribs tonight, lol!

Nina said...

Miz~not tonight! I'm still teasing him every chance I get :)

Nance said...

Men do NOT read. Ever. It's a Guy Thing. The fact that it makes them look stupid is simply never an issue. They'd rather be The Guy. Don't ask me. I married one too.

Heidi said...

Oh...my gawd this is even funnier the second time around! I love my brother in law! Always remember to tell the boys...check for gas!

Nina said...

Nance~You know what's funny about men not reading? Jason always reads, thats what kills me. He's always getting on me about reading the directions, reading the manual, blah, blah, blah!!! Maybe since it wasn't an actual piece of paper he could carry around...

Heidi~Isn't it!?!? I love it!

Lisa Johnson said...

LOL! If you hadn't gone to check on him, I wonder how long it would have taken for him to figure it out or admit to you that it was empty? :)

Nina said...

Anali~Probably never...he would have just made up some excuse to go to the store and get a full one without me knowing! :)

Tera said...

OMG, Nina this is HILAROUS!!! Only because I can totally picture your face...and his...and then you laughing. You're so mean LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Nina said...

Tera~Oh you know me so well!!! Nice to have you back!!!!!!