Sunday, April 26, 2009

YES!!! It is a big deal!

Evidently the Swine Flu has hit our area. One 3rd grader from a local elementary school has tested positive for the virus after having been in Mexico for a vacation. Evidently the boy is (thankfully) home and recovering well. My issue is this. I babysit a boy who attends that school. I drive him to school everyday.Since I have a one year old baby at home as well as a 13 year old, I'd rather take the week off if you know what I mean. I received information from a local health department official and she said the incubation period is 7 days. I'm not interested in being around anyone who may have been exposed to this boy knowing that he was in school most of last week. I'm really not into taking my chances when it comes to the health of my family or myself. Is this selfish? I'd prefer we call it smart. My guess is that if one student has been diagnosed, more are to follow. The student I watch is a 1st grader who supposedly doesn't come into regular contact with 3rd graders, according to his mother who had a bit of an attitude when I informed her that I would NOT be keeping her son this week. I'm thinking, so what! They eat lunch in the same room, they use the same bathrooms, they touch the same hand rails, yes? And we all know that children are super good about washing their hands in order to keep from spreading nasty germs. Uh huh. Right. No thank you, I'll pass. I'm sorry that if the said mother feels that I'm being overprotective, maybe I am. I really don't care. I'm sure if the situation were reversed she would take the same precautions. Seriously, I doubt that anyone believes that this is one isolated case. I hope that it is, but it's probably not. Otherwise the World Health Orginization wouldn't be having such a hissy fit.

7 comments:

Nance said...

I think most people just don't think. Case in point: a sub who has been working in that school just got called to go teach in a different school! Now, she was not in the third grade, but I agree with you. Why else would the CDC shut the whole building down for a week? Better to exercise extreme caution.

Unknown said...

I wish I knew more information on the swine flu. I'm just now getting to the newspapers. I think when it comes to our babies we do all we can to protect them.

Nina said...

Nance~WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?! But then again, lets think about who calls the subs...not the brightest star in the sky. And yes, I CAN blame her because I don't like her! LOL!

Distracted~I wish I knew more too, then maybe I wouldn't be so quick to panic!

Mizrepresent said...

You have every reason to be extra precautious with your family and yourself. I see nothing wrong with that and she should be just as concerned. Perhaps the CDC should just go ahead and vaccinate everyone. IMO

Nina said...

Miz~I agree!

Lisa Johnson said...

I agree better safe than sorry!

Nina said...

Anali~my thoughts exactly! Ahd you know what, the school has been closed for an additional week...just in case!