Sunday, January 13, 2008

Grand Slam Time!!!

I love tennis. I know the ins and outs of the game. Singles matches are my favorite. However, I do not play. I've never even tried. I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure why I enjoy watching tennis so much. I believe it stems back to my childhood when we didn't have cable television and the only non-fuzzy channel was showing the Wimbledon tournament. I will still wake up early on the final weekend of the famous English tournament to have "breakfast at Wimbledon" and watch the men's and women's finals. Love it, just love it!

This next couple of weeks is all about the Australian Open. Will Roger Federer continue to dominate the men's tennis world? Are the Williams sisters healthy and the one's to beat (Serena took the title last year) or is Henin still unstoppable? I'm so excited! I'll be rooting for Federer. That man is amazing! He seemed a bit vulnerable at times last year so we'll see how he's looking in his first major showing of the grand slam season. This may just end up being the year that Rafa Nadal takes that coveted #1 spot.

The only thing that I'm not looking forward to...given that Australia is on the underside of the world, the live coverage is on late at night. I have trouble staying awake at night these days. I hate that.

Even if you're not a tennis fan, how could you not enjoy watching this man, Roger Federer? He's yummy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, he is yummy. i still can't believe that I'm being replaced by him. Oh, I knew who he was! Who is this guy taking my number one spot?

I'll probably catch some of the tournament, so if you fall asleep in the middle of it and forget to DVR, I'll tell you about it.

I can't remember, is Austrailia clay?

Lisa Johnson said...

Oh I didn't even know this was going on now! Thanks for letting me know! I used to play tennis a little when I was in high school. It is a fun game and it would be kind of nice to take some lessons actually. If my back can take it...

Nina said...

Nic~actually Australia got a new surface this year. I suppose it's technically a hard court. But it is new.

Anali~Don't worry, you haven't missed much. The tournament just started.
Did you by chance take part in the "no pants subway ride" that Boston recently had? I saw that on the news and had to giggle at the thought of you going pants-less on the subway. For some reason, you just don't strike me as that type of woman :)

Nance said...

But I miss the old men in tennis: Borg, Connors, McEnroe. Those were the really exciting days. And what about Agassi before he cut all that hair off?

Nina said...

Nance~Agassi is my all time favorite player. I cried like a baby when he make his exit at the US OPEN two years ago. I loved him with and without the hair.

I must admit that I really don't remember your old men of tennis. So I'm pretty excited about the men of today. And seriously, who couldn't love Federer...no one has been this good in quite some time. You have to appreciate his ability if nothing else.

Tera said...

Tennis schmenis!

Nina said...

Tera~Tennis rocks! Last night was awesome...Federer won a nail biter in 5 sets that went into the wee hours of the morning.

*yes I know that means nothing to you :)

Anonymous said...

I just missed the match!

Nina said...

Nic~ It was a thriller!! Well worth me staying up until 5:30am...for sure!!!