Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Lacie




This is one of my favorite pictures of my Lacie Dog. She was our first dog. I got home from the store one day and found her in my living room. We hadn't discussed getting a dog so I thought maybe we were just dog-sitting for someone. Nope. She was ours. I think in this photo she was about 8 weeks old. Maybe even a little younger. It was sometime in July. She was such a good puppy. She was potty trained in less than two weeks and NEVER had accidents in the house. She only chewed her toys. Honestly, we had no idea how well behaved she actually was until little Srappy-Doo (a.k.a. the terror) was added to the family. As Lacie grew, she turned out to be a wonderful companion and guard dog. I never felt that anyone could harm me or anyone in the family as long as Lacie was around. But she also was super friendly to all. My friend Nicole always calls Lacie "bossy" because she makes you pet her, regardless of what you want. The sweetest dog ever, that is how I'll remember my Lacie Dog...

...Today we had to put her down. One of the hardest decisions I've had to make in a super long time. Her health had been declining for quite some time and I probably should have done this sooner. But I was selfish and wanted to keep her because I love her sooooo much. Anyway...I held her until she took her final breath. Then I held her some more. I made sure that the final thing she saw was my face. I told her over and over that I was sorry and I love her. I hope she understood. I told her that I was sorry that she wouldn't get to meet the baby. I know that some of you think I'm ridiculous, but Lacie loved babies. She watched over them. Lacie would wake me in the middle of the night when I used to keep my niece if I didn't hear her crying. She was such a good dog...

...Shortly after leaving the vet's office I had a doctor's appointment of my own. I heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time today. It was the most beautiful sound. I thought of the circle of life.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be so sad the next time I'm standing in your kitchen and there isn't a huge animal trying to iron me onto the cabinets. OH, I'm so sorry, Nina.

It sounds like you had a day of many emotions though. How amazing the cicle of life is. The baby will be here so soon. Before I blink, we'll know if it's a boy or a girl! You are finding out what it is, right? You know my quilts take a while.

I'll you in my thoughts. Sympathy for Lacie, and Happiness for the BABY. Peace for all.

Mikey G. said...

What a crazy time it has been for you! I'm so sorry about Lacie, but it sounds like she had a great and love-filled life. And that's all we can ask for.

Lisa Johnson said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Lacie. It does make you think about the circle of life. I'm glad that the baby is doing well. Take care Nina.

Anonymous said...

Well, right now I hate you! Hehe it's bad enough i'm pregnant, but reading this made me bawl even harder. I'm so sorry sis. I know how much you loved Lacie. I remember when you first got her, and brought her over to romp in my yard. She really was a character! We will all miss her alot.

Tera said...

aaaaayyyyyynnnnaaa baaabba bababiziwabaa!! Oweeemoway, oweemoway...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!

Tera said...

Okay, seriously...sorry about Lacie dog :( That must have been rough for you.

So did they try to guess the sex based on heart rate? They do that all the time saying girls' hearts beat faster...or is it the other way around? Anyways...

Nina said...

Nic~Thanks for your kind words :) And yes, I'll be finding out what the sex of the baby is and you'll be one of the first to know 'cause I want a quilt. For sure!

I.H.~She definately had many many good times!!

Anali~Thank you and yes, the baby is great!

Heidi~Us pregos just can't control the waterworks :)

Tera~You're a nut! No, she didn't try to guess the sex...the heartrate was 152 (I think) so what's your prediction?

Tera said...

I think I am leaning more toward a girl...the boys' heart rates were always in the 160's...but I could be wrong! ;-D

Dagromm said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. She looks like she was a sweetie and it's always tough to lose a member of the house.

Nina said...

Tera~OOOH! OOOOOH!! OOOOOOOH!!! How fun a little girl would be!!!!

Dagromm~Thanks. Even my husband who swore he wanted to get rid of all our dogs is missing her!

Nance said...

nina--i'm really sorry about your experience with lacie. it's a difficult decision to make and then to go through with. i know you did the right thing.

how wonderful that you got to validate the healthy new life of your child the same day. my father used to remind me that it is the contrast in life that makes us appreciate things. we can't know the light without the darkness, and only from experiencing sadness can we know true joy. you certainly lived it this day.

Mizrepresent said...

She is so adorable! What a heartfelt and tender post...the circle of life indeed lady!

Nina said...

Nance~ I really like that, what your fater said. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Miz~isn't it strange how things happen sometimes?

Tera said...

Nina, this is getting more confusin by the day...last night I dreamed I had a beautiful baby boy!!! Hmmm maybe these dreams have nothing to do with you...excuse me while I check on everyone in my family who is in their child rearing years!!!

Tera said...

I guess that word is supposed be "confusing?"

Anonymous said...

I've been having baby dreams too.

Nina said...

Ah Ha!! You're dreaming about Nicole, Tera, not me!!! Quick Nicole, go pee on a stick and call me!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yaz has recently become my friend again....it's not me!!!!!

Belle - A Beauty livin with her Beast said...

losing a pet is like losing a member of the family....if you had a girl you could always name her Lacie.... :)

fringes said...

Sorry about your Lacie, Nina.

Yay for intrauterine heartbeats.

Nina said...

Nic~are you sure that stuff works :)

Belle~Lacie was my first child, really.

Fringes~thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I'll let you know by tomorrow!I wish it didn't, but you know.....maybe next year.