Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Old Enough


At what age is it appropriate to start having children do more for themselves? I'm ready to hand over some household responsibility.

The child in my home is going to be 12 in just a couple more months. The husband says that he's going through a transformation...he's beginning to take pride in the way he dresses, he's making semi-good attempts to comb his hair in a presentable fashion and he cares if his shoes get dirty. Jason says that he's at the age where "he can smell his own piss". (Please, don't ask. There are lots of Jasonisms that fly around this house daily). So I'm wondering if I can slap some more responsibility on his ever broadening shoulders and growing ego.

Young D already has a list of chores that are posted on the fridge that need to be completed daily. The only supposed exceptions to the latter are large amounts of homework, baseball or football games/practices. Sometimes the get out of jail free card is used for a number of other less important things like American Idol or Dad wants to go somewhere and doesn't feel like waiting for Poky Joe to finish washing the dishes or walking the dog. But that's a whole other issue, let's not go there today.

Anyway...I figure it's time for the young buck to learn how to do laundry. His own, of course. I wouldn't dare let him touch my clothes. He does enough damage to mine by leaving chocolate bars and ink pens in the pockets of his blue jeans.

If I may be honest here, my motive is two fold. First, I HATE doing laundry and I have no idea how three people can create sooooo much of it. And on the rare occasion that I've managed to get all the dirty clothes washed (just as I've finished my victory dance) the little man has this magical way of conjuring up two or three more loads that have mysteriously been placed in the corner of his closet. Not by him, of course, but by the little people who live under the floor-boards. Those bastards really irk me, I'm going to have to call the little-people exterminators to handle that one. Moving on. I've decided that if he washes his own clothes, I'll no longer need to be concerned with the dirty clothes that pop up out of thin air once I'm done dealing with the laundry demons. He can have his own hamper. In his own room. Then it's no longer MY issue.

Second, I think it's time for the young man of the house to see what it's like to be a bit more responsible for himself. It's time for him to learn exactly WHY you can't tell someone that your uniform is dirty 20 minutes before the game. He needs to learn that life will run much more smoothly when you don't wait until you've completely run out of clean underware to ask if anyone washed clothes the night before.


Seriously, the most important factor here...I don't want to have to wash so many damn clothes. PERIOD. He's old enough, right? Besides, my mom always told me that one of the plus sides of having children around the house is having the authority to make them do the stuff parents don't want to do. So maybe I'll approach this new task for D as a scientific experiment proving her theory.

15 comments:

fringes said...

I say go for it.

Anonymous said...

I think that it's a good idea for this guy to learn how to do laundry. I'd probably start by having him separate his clothes a few times before you trust him to put them in the wash. I learned the hard way. Everything was green.

Anonymous said...

You already know that I am an avid supporter of child labor!!! My daughter does laundry...all of it! Granted it is just the two of us, and I separate the clothes for her, but other than that she is responsible for it.

When I was growing up, I started doing laundry in 3rd grade. Everybody in the house, including mom, had specific days to do laundry. If we didn't get it done on that day or make arrangements with mom (it had better be a good excuse) then we would just have to wait until the following week to do it. That did a couple of things...first (and most importantly) it kept us out of my mom's way when she was trying to clean household rugs, towels, etc. Secondly, it made us adhere to a schedule and plan accordingly. Occasionally mom would surprise us and when we got home our laundry would be done on our respective days!

I thought it was a good plan, however, I'd just rather make my daughter do all of the laundry!!!!!!

And your mother couldn't be more correct...besides our job as mothers is hard enough...any little help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Dagromm said...

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was wondering the same thing with my son. He's a year younger, but it seems like the right time for him to start taking care of this himself.

Tera said...

Nina, I say go for it!!! I mean those who know me KNOW that I am EXTREMELY OCD when it comes to laundry (especially the dryer ;)...so there's probably not a chance of my son doing it!!! But hey, those damned clothes CAN pile up!!!

Nina said...

Fringes~I'm all over it...I'm laying down the law today!

Nicole~he already knows how to sort so hopefully he won't "forget" and mess anything up. I'll letcha know!

Rey~I like the designated day...I'm going to do that, thanks!

dagromm~I agree 100% and good luck! Just don't lay it all on at once and then they don't realize how much they actually are doing for you :)

Nance said...

nina--my boys have been doing their own laundry since they were 8. it's not hard. once in a while, i'd say i was doing a load of darks and did they have something they needed to fill in my load, but other than that, they were on their own.

remember, these kids have been on computers and have been programming VCRs and DVDs since birth practically.

Nina said...

nance~seriously, 8?!?!? I must be behind...what else should I be having my boy do, I need to catch up!

Lisa Johnson said...

I think 12 is plenty old enough to do his own laundry. I mean the government will consider him ready to drive in 4 years! This will prepare him to operate heavy machinery responsibly!

Nina said...

Anali~Great point!!! Although I'm not sure I will allow him to drive in 4 years :)

Induced Homomorphism said...

My parents didn't have me doing my own laundry until high school. It's sad, really.

Nina said...

Induced~ you spoiled little brat, you!

Nance said...

nina--vacuuming, definitely. taking care of pet stuff, like catbox or "shoveling" in the yard. clearing the table after dinner. taking out the trash on trash night. naturally, he's already taking care of his own room, right?

Nina said...

Nance~I don't let him vacuum because I'm tired of pulling pens and pencils out of the hose. He does walk little Scrappy everyday, do dishes, pick up the poop, empty all the trash daily and do the weekly curb duty and I've only cleaned him room twice. Ever. So I guess I'm doing alright :)

Tera said...

Nina you have been tagged...read my latest post when you get a chance! :)