Thursday, May 24, 2007

I'm a Pot Head!!



A Harry Potter pot head, that is. I'm a friggin' junkie.

Before I'd read the books, I could not understand for the life of me why so many adults were acting like crazed maniacs over a children's series. But like I said, that was BEFORE. I don't know that I've ever read books quite so entertaining and appealing to so many different age groups and people types. Now I'm one of those crazy people too. Sad, but true. To anyone who has not read the series, I highly recomend doing so. Even if you think this is not "your type of book". I've yet to run across anyone who has read the books and thought they were just "o.k." or did not like them at all. If you enjoy reading, you'll enjoy the adventures of Harry Potter.

I also love the movies. They stay very true to the events in the books. I've never missed opening day (first showing, always) of a Potter film. Even if that means I take the day off work. Luckily, the next movie will be released in July and I'll be on summer vacation. So calling in sick with a fake belly ache won't be necessary. Furthermore, I absolutely can not surf through the channels, see that a Harry Potter movie is playing and keep on surfing. I'll stop whatever I'm doing to sit down and watch. At the very least, I turn on all the televisions in my house so I can watch as I'm cleaning from room to room. It really is a bit of an obsession. Given that The Goblet of Fire has been playing almost daily between HBO and Cinimax, I've not gotten much done around the house. Especially since the new windows have been installed and I can (thankfully) no longer hear the dogs bark while there outside. No more annoying dog interruptions, yeah buddy!


One of my friends asked me if I've ordered the new book, The Deathly Hallows, coming out in July. I have not. I'm having an awful time with this decision. Should I order it online to ensure that I get a copy? But then what if the mail/UPS/Fed Ex man is running late and I'm not able to begin the final book until late in the day? If that were to happen, I chance seeing a spoiler on the tv news or online. That would just break my heart. I'm pretty convinced that Harry will die, along with He Who Must Not Be Named, but I need to discover the fate of all on my own. So maybe I'll reserve a copy, pre-paid of course, at one of the local bookstores and hope for a midnight opening. I can not forget, though, a story I was told by my Harry Potter loving Aunt Jo who attempted to attend one of those late night escapades... When the most recent book, The Half-Blood Prince, was released and there was supposed to be a midnight opening, the people never showed up at the shopping mall to open the store! I absolutely can't chance that!!! I'm really struggling here, I need to have my muggle hands on that book as soon as humanly possible. I plan on locking myself up somewhere and reading it in its entirety as fast as possible. I may even leave my home to stay at the local Holiday Inn to ensure that my husband doesn't attempt to foil my time alone with Harry and the gang. (He gets a bit jealous when my attention is devoted so extensively to something other than him.) After all, this is the final installation. I must savour every single word on every single page.

14 comments:

Induced Homomorphism said...

When The Half Blood Prince came out in 2005, I was at a summer research program and took a bus to New York City for the weekend with some of the other students in the program. Since most of us were Harry Potter fans, we decided we were going to go to one of the Midnight Magic parties. We picked the Barnes and Noble in Union Square because we happened to be in the neighborhood the day before and were able to reserve books.

Apparently this particular Barnes and Noble was the company's flagship store. We got there around 10:00 PM to find out that J. K. Rowling had given a speech via satellite earlier that evening exclusively to that store, and we found out that we were there just in time for a reading by Jim Dale (the guy who does the voices from the audiobooks). There were also a lot of other little interactive things set up, but we quickly looked at those and then got our books at midnight so we could read as much as we could before going to sleep.

I'm definitely going to hit up a midnight book release party if I can find one, and I'm currently planning on staying up all night and finishing it. I just hope nobody spoils it before I can finish.

Oh, and I think Harry will live. I hope, at least!

Nina said...

I.H.~That sounds like soooo much fun!!! Please, let me know how the next one goes, if you find a spot.

My plan for not running into a spoiler...talk to no one. Watch no tv. Do not log onto the internet. It will be difficult but I will try my best!

Tera said...

Isn't Harry getting a little old (the boy...that's almost looking like a man, that is)? I caught a glimpse of one of them on Rey's TV the other day, and I thought...hmmmm.

Sorry Nina, something has to happen...I don't want to see a 30 year old man with those little round glasses on episode number 347!!!

Okay, I won't crap on it anymore...I'll start reading the damn books...where do I start?

Nina said...

Tera~First of all, start reading at Book 1, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Second, all the kids in the movie are almost on target for the age of the kids in the book. The stories chronical the events of the character's lives year after year at Hogwart's. So really, it's not that far off cause they're supposed to be getting older. Besides, if they change who plays who now in the movies it would ruin everything!!! That's what they have make-up for :)

Nance said...

tera, yes he's "getting old"--old enough to have been in the stage production of EQUUS and to have done the nude scene. i'm shocked that you didn't see the Internet photos of it. It was quite the chat all over the net.

nina--you're killing me. hilarious. i've never ever read HP in any form. i think Daniel Radcliffe is a real cutie but have no desire to read the books. i absolutely love the fact that they're turning out a whole generation of readers, though. half the kids aren't even hefty enough to carry around those books!!

Nina said...

Nance~ I still say you'd like it!!!! If nothing else you'd enjoy the creativness of the author, being a creative writing reacher and all :)

Nina said...

***teacher***

Nance said...

nina--LOL!!! Trust me, sometimes, with the early drafts, I truly feel like a "Reacher." hee hee.

Dagromm said...

I have attended midnight releases for the last two books. I'm rereading the entire series now so that I'm in the right flow when the last one comes out. Right now, I'm 3/4 of the way through Goblet. I have a few guesses about events in Book 7, but J.K. usually outwits me. I can admit it. I'm particularly interested in rereading Book 5, because she states that there was nothing that she could cut from that book which would indicate some significance to things that we didn't notice at the time. We'll see.
I'm not so dorky as to go to the book release dressed like a wizard though. I have some self respect. I'll be dressed like a cowboy.

Nina said...

Dagromm~ If I can find a midnight release (somewhere close by) I'll be there, for sure! I'm getting ready to start rereading the series as well, I do that before every book is released. And I realize something new everytime amd I love each book even more, everytime!
What are your theories on Book 7? My suspision is that Harry will defeat Voldemort but dies in the process. I'm also quite interested in finding out more about Aunt Petunia.

Nina said...

*and

Lisa Johnson said...

I've never gotten into these books, but I'm glad that you're enjoying it all so much! I hope you can get it right away and read to your heart's content! ; )

briliantdonkey said...

Well I realize I am a vveryyyyyy definite minority here, but I for one DO find them to be 'just ok.' I read constantly, and even LIKE the fantasy stuff to a degree but never read beyond the first one which just never managed to 'grab me by the mind and insist to be read.'

BD

Nina said...

Brilliantdondey~*sigh* maybe you should give then another shot and go for book 2.