Thursday, November 8, 2007

IT'S A BOY!!!


There you have it, all this time of wishing for a baby girl is gone, it's a boy. I'm going to live in a house where I'm out-numbered 5 to 1 (that is counting my male dogs, of course). All in all, I'm happy and feeling fortunate, so far everything looks great and he's healthy. But I still haven't felt the baby move. So other than my ever expanding abdominal cavity, it's still somewhat of a foreign idea to me, I'm growing a tiny penis inside of me at this very second. CRAZY!!! Just blows my mind, really!

I must say that this pregnancy is flying by. I'm just shy of being 5 months pregnant but it seems like only yesterday I was peeing on a stick and looking wide eyed at the positive results. In another 5 months, I'll officially be a mother. Man, that is too freaky!

I was reading an article recently, 30 things that no one tells you will change once you've given birth. The one point that I can't stop thinking about is this...

"The dog that has always been "your baby" will become just a dog."

At first I'm thinking, not my dog, not my Scrappy Doo. He's my BABY BOY and he always will be. And then I started to feel guilty that I might not love him as much. What is it going to do to the little dog if he feels neglected?!?! He may just have to go on puppy prozac. I couldn't bear seeing him depressed. Jason says that Scrappy is going to have a really hard time when the baby comes, says he will be real jealous. Jason is also convinced that Scrappy is going to try and pull the baby off of the couch one day and try to eat him or play with him like he's a rag doll. He tells me it's all my fault because I baby him. But I don't think that it will be a problem. I babysat my girlfriend's 5 month old a couple of weeks ago and Scrappy just wanted to lick her death. That's all. He didn't even attempt to nip her cute little nose. (Halley, if you're reading this, I apologize if it seems like I turned your daughter into a lab rat. It wasn't like that, I promise!) He was a perfect angel, that Scrappy Doo. Once Jason witnessed that, he said maybe the little Scrapper will be okay with the new baby.

How I managed to turn my "It's a Boy" news into a story about my dog is beyond me. I suppose that is a sign that I need to get my priorities straight. NOW. In the comments..what else is going to change after I have the baby that most people aren't warned about. But please, try not to scare the crap out of me!

12 comments:

Tera said...

Nina, it's not such a bummer...you will have this little person who loves you unconditionally, and quite honestly, it is the most wonderful feeling the world!

And besides...we have plenty of time to have girls!

Anonymous said...

Nina,

You will never look at your vagina the same way again!

:)
Halley

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Oh, boys are so wonderful. As much as I long to be a mother to a daughter, I am thrilled with having a house full of boys, too;>

Although I never believed my dogs would ever not be my babies, either, I did find that my attitude towards them did change over time.

As far as other things to know about after having a baby, I just don't know what to tell you because I suck with antecdotes on general topics. Maybe just realize that every child is different, so what works for one may not work for yours, so never say never, and don't feel bad about doing something you thought you'd never do if it works for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I don't have the first clue as to what will really change. I just wondered if you've seen the commercial(I forget what it's for), where a woman's life was time lined from the time she was a beautiful new bride until the time she was a selfless mom that looked like she was hit by a train? I feel like that was a wakeup call to me, and I couldn't help but to think of a handful of people that I could relate to it. My conciousness of that really made me laugh. So if you have seen it, I think that's what changes you the most, but please, don't stop caring for yourself no matter how much you love your children.

Oh yeah, I think that Jason knew/knows that Scrappy will love the baby. He was just trying to get you to agree to get rid of him.

Mikey G. said...

It's cute that even when it's about your baby (this post), it turns into being about your dog. I'm not too worried that you'll start ignoring Scrappy Doo - you seem to be incapable of it :-D

Nance said...

oh boy, don't open the floodgates like that. too many people will tell you horror stories. enjoy thinking about your new little boy.

Nina said...

Tera~yes, you do still have plenty of time to try for a girl!

Halley~You're right, I realized this right after you'd given birth and I saw yours. :)

Woo Woo~I need to remember that, every child is different becuase even though I've not had any of my own yet, I've had my share of being around babies. Thanks!


Nic~I know exactly what commercial you're talking about. The good part is that it ends nicely, right?!

IH~as I snuggled with Scrappy this morning I was thining ths same exact thing.

Nance~you're right, and God knows I don't want any horror stories!
I am enjoying it though... jason and I bought cute clothes yesterday and I felt him move last night for the first time. Nothing could be more special than that feeling, at least not right now.

Susan said...

"I'm growing a tiny penis inside of me at this very second"

You amuse me so, Nina.

Nina said...

Susan~sometimes it is far more fun to think of things in a literal sense :)

Lisa Johnson said...

Congratulations on the boy! I'm sure that the baby and Scrappy Doo will get along just fine. And when he first starts talking, he'll probably laugh hysterically at his name. It's fun to say! ; )

Nina said...

Thanks Anali!

Mizrepresent said...

I think it will be fine. When i was pregnant with my first,i had a dog that was my baby...and he would nuzzle up next to my stomach all the time...when she was born, well he loved her as much as i did! Congratulations on that boy...boys are so adorable!