Monday, August 13, 2007

I woke up this morning quite sad, full of thoughts that haven't been with me in a long time. Though, I'd be lying if I said I never thought of him. But last night I had a dream, and he was there. Just as I always knew him...

You see, we met at the age of 10. We only saw each other once a week at P.A.T. (I think that stood for Program for the Academically Talented) class. We quickly became friends, the best of friends actually. As we grew older and entered Jr. High School neither of us could have been more pleased to know we'd now be attending the same school. We'd see each other every day. We had several classes together. We also decided we were in love. Awe, who doesn't remember young love without a big grin? Holding hands while walking to class, writing love letters hoping the teacher doesn't catch you, sneaking late night phone calls, scribbling "I love so-and-so" all over your folders. What fun all of that was! Oh, we were inseparable. Life was perfect. But soon, seeing each other only during school wasn't enough. So he invited me over to his house one day after school to play basketball. His mother said she was looking forward to finally meeting me after hearing only my voice after all these years. And so it goes, the walk to his house after school, introductions were made everything was great! Until I got home and he called. It was at this moment that I witnessed for the very first time how ugly the world can be. He told me that his mom thought I was really nice but she had no idea that I wasn't white. He told her it didn't matter and she had a million reasons why it did. I'll spare you the nasty details that came over the next 2 years (we were not easily separated, as I said before) except to say that it was indeed nasty. Heated conversations took place amongst his and my mother, he and his mother as well as his mother and I. Eventually, after lots of sneaking around and pretending to date other people his parents won. We just couldn't do it anymore. We were defeated. It was so uncomfortable that we hardly ever spoke to each other throughout high school. We always exchanged looks that said "I miss you" but we never spoke. Actually, I did get the courage to call him once when we were in 11th grade. And I did tell him that I missed him. He sounded as sad as I was feeling and said, "Nina, please don't."
And that was our last phone conversation, ever. My last memory, is a good one. We were at senior brunch. I told him I would like him to take a picture with with me. He looked extremely surprised, yet happy. We put our arms around each other one last time, just long enough for it to hurt.

The adults used to whisper, let them be, they're only kids. It's not like they're getting married. They don't really love each other, they don't even know what love is. Even though these people were trying to help, these words were not comforting. They were a slap in the face.

Years went by. I always wondered where he was. I was sad (for selfish reasons) when I heard he'd gotten married. I was even more sad when I heard he was getting a divorce. Because even now, the thought of him unhappy makes me unhappy.

Looking back, I can say, yes. Yes, I loved him. I loved him the only way I knew how. He was my most trusted friend. Were my feelings of love as complex as they are today for my own husband and family? Of course not, I was indeed young. But we are all capable of love, at every age. And I beg of all the parents who read this, never deny your child the opportunity to love someone because you can't get over your own shortcomings about race.

Forgive me for being all over the place, but the truth is, it's hard to think clearly, because the emotion is still so strong. The tears will not stop falling. Just know that I cry not for the friendship that was taken away, or for my heart that was so badly broken. That pain has gone, although I sometimes still hurt from the scar. I cry for the ignorance of the people in this world who can not see past the color of one's skin. I cry for the people who still think that it matters.

17 comments:

Nance said...

I often tell my students that I feel it's wrong for adults to say that teens "don't know what love is." Of course they do! Don't they receive it every day since their birth? Have they not had it shown them by their parents? If their parents have a strong marriage, then of course they know what love is! Feelings are relative, and they can know what love is in their time of life.

Your experience shows just how much an early exposure to ugly racism can mar someone. It also shows how human love can truly transcend the boundaries of race. I'm sorry for your pain, but within this is the more positive lesson that there really is hope. Humanity is colorblind on the most basic level of love.

Tera said...

Oh Nina, I nearly cried reading this!!! And who is this person? Have you ever discussed this with me? This is a great post!

P.S. Why yes, PAT meant Program for the Academically Talented...that's of course where you and I met! :-D

Nina said...

Nance~I really don't even know what to say. So thank you, thank you for being an understanding woman with a clear view of the world.


Tera~ Why yes, that is where we met!! I was going to mention that but it really didn't seem to fit :)And you do know this person...

Tera said...

Drop those initials...like NOW!

Mizrepresent said...

A very heartfelt post, and i hear you in more ways than one, my son now attends a school where he is the minority, so most of his love/like interests are of the opposite race, or a different race from his own, i never discourage him from liking someone, only open his eyes to the world and how they will view this relationship. thanks for sharing girl, i felt you on this!

EsLocura said...

great post. Having been on the receiving end of racist remarks on too many occasions I could feel the pain. Funny how for a society that is so advance we still need so much work.

Mikey G. said...

The only thing I really have to say is that at least things are getting better and society is moving much more towards acceptance than it was before.

I actually remember one time in high school throwing a party, and one of my friends who was ethnically mixed came. After the party, my mom congratulated me on throwing a "multicultural" party. I'm sure I rolled my eyes at her because of how absurd it would be for me to only allow white people to my party, but I'm sure it was a knee-jerk reaction from not remembering how much things have changed since she was growing up.

You'll be happy to know that I've dated people of many ethnicities without a second thought. If they're cute, they're cute ;)

Kofi said...

I grew up in the suburbs. Only kid of color on my street, in most of my classes, etc., for years. The only reason things didn't hurt me so much was because I was a nerd anyway.

Dagromm said...

A very nice post Nina. I married my highschool sweetheart and we are of different races. For some people this seems to be a big deal, but it certainly seems to be a lot more accepted now. I remember my grandmother telling me that she was surprised we were getting married. Not that she didn't like her, but because she always thought I'd marry "a nice latin girl". Funny since I don't speak Spanish. At least not much. My only living grandfather I have only seen maybe two times in the last 11 years. At a funeral and when he was in the hospital. He made it clear that he didn't want much to do with my wife so I've had to remove him from my life. I feel awful about it, because I feel as if I'm cutting a piece out of myself that I'd like to share with my family.

I don't know what else to say, but I have a good memory for a few things. #1) At age nine I remember thinking that I would never forget that at that time I could think clearly and as well as any adult. Therefore I wouldn't treat kids like they are stupid. #2) When I was in love at seventeen I vowed to remember how I felt and how others could not tell me that what I felt was any less real than what it was.

I'm gonna shut up now and be embarrassed in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I thought about this all day. You might have even convinced me to open a wound, but hey, it's alright.

I know exactly where you stand. i've been through this race thing on both sides. One being my mother and two being my boyfriends mother. The only thing justifying my actions and "wining" the fight would be because of my mothers short-comings. Being a 12 year old and "liking" a black guy that I saw in the hallway, was enough to make my mother want to cease everything that mattered to me. 15 years later, that's what my boyfriend's mom wanted to do with him. God what a bid fight it was.

You know what, it's these kinds of things that make people grow. That's why society is getting over the "what's on the cover" issue. By the time our children have grown to be in their twenties(and I'm talking us 20 and 30 somethings), this isn't going to be an issue. Or maybe not as common as an issue. At least with blacks and whites.

Whenever a new color or culture moves to our continent, there's always going to be speculation. As long as there's religion, there's always going to be subjection within the authority of a person until they can make decisions on their own.

I'm sad that so many people have to feel the ugliness that so many carry on through pride or tradition. Whatever the fight for them is, I can see what they mean, but i can't understand how they wont in their minds allow things to change.

I am a believer in EVOLUTION.

Belle - A Beauty livin with her Beast said...

I think the best thing that ever happened to me was moving away from a small southern town, to a prominately black area in DE. I made friends, and had many loves that were black, and my mom never once told me that it wasnt right. When I finally moved back to the southern area it was hard for people to accept me because I didnt shun away everyone but the whites, it wasnt then and still inst in my nature to be racist. I think that has gotten way out of hand, and I have vowed to teach my kids everyday that everyone is equal no matter how different they may seem.

Nina said...

miz~I think that is a perfect way for you to approach the situation, tell him what you know to be true and let him make his own choices. Beautiful!

eslocura~I've often wondered how advanced we really are when such trivial isuues such as race still control so many things.

I.H.~I agree, things are moving forward. Just not fast enough. And your are right...if they're cute they're cute :) love it!

kofi~thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to know that you're not too damaged, good for you!

Nina said...

Dagromm~ I can totally relate to your family situation. All of my grandmother's side of the family stopped talking to my mother when I was born because she had a child with a black man. I went to high school with several of my cousins that I'd never met outside of school even though we all live in the same city.

It really is sad that sometimes we are forced to grow up so quickly.


Nic~yes, these things make us grow but it doesn't make them any less ugly...I hope you're right about the world our children will live in because it really does still seem so far away.

belle~that's wonderful, too bad everyone doesn't grow up with a mother like yours!

briliantdonkey said...

Great post to say the least. We have come a long way, but there is indeed so much farther to go. Kind of sickening yet hopeful to say the least.

BD

fringes said...

Dang. I have no words. I was here. Insightful post. Thanks for sharing.

Nina said...

BD~Thanks.

Fringes~ You're welcome.


:)

Lisa Johnson said...

Oh this post has my stomach in knots! I agree that people can love at a very early age and I often wonder why adults want to pretend that it is not true. They must remember when they were young. Racism is such a needless poison in our world. It just hurts me to think about it.